Jan 8, 2011

On giving yourself permission to not be perfect

What a crazy few months we have had. There are so many things that as a wife mother we feel we should be doing that sometimes, at the end of the day, just don't get done. What a relief it is sometimes to be able to say to yourself: "I'm not perfect, and that's okay."
Then we pick up the pieces and move on with our lives. One thing that I struggle with is to keep up with the dishes. Usually that is not a problem, but with the house showings that we had as we tried to sell our house, sometimes with very little warning, it became a stressful thing to always keep the sink empty. My solution? I bought a large opaque tote which I dedicated to our dirty dishes. Before a showing, I would quickly put all of the dishes in the tote and within a couple of minutes I would have a beautiful empty sink. Sweet, now I can vacuum...
In today's market, I am so grateful that we found a buyer for our home. We are preparing to move next week, and our baby is due in less than 6 weeks. I know that consistently teaching our children is the key to their success, and I have continued doing preschool activities with them all summer. A couple of weeks ago, as I struggled to keep up, I told myself, "Tamsyn, it's summer, you're pregnant, you're moving, and your oldest child is only three. Their academic success in life does not depend on you doing school right now." Giving myself permission to take a break has been so rewarding for me. I have many things that demand my attention right now, and by allowing myself to focus on the most important ones, and letting the others slide, I have gotten more sleep, I have been a happier mother, and ultimately, that is what my children need the most.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...