Jan 7, 2011

Early Homeschooling

Early Homeschooling

I say hooray for homeschooling! I was homeschooled all the way through and my mom is still homeschooling my siblings down to my 4-year old sister. (I'm the oldest of 11, and this year marks for my parents 20 years of homeschooling!). It has been absolutely wonderful for my family, and I grew up wanting to be a homeschooling mom myself. I now have graduated from college, and in retrospect, I'm quite certain that homeschooling prepared me for college better then public school would have because I as able to specialize my education even in high school, and I had a lot of control (and responsibility!) over my own education.


There's never been a better time to homeschool then now. When my parents started 20 years ago, it was a very strange thing to do, but now there are so many homeschoolers, and a lot of homeschooling co-ops and support groups out there, as well as clubs, choirs, etc. And even if the general public don't agree with homeschooling, there at least has been a lot of education about it, and they seem to be more accepting.

Knowing that I would be the one to teach my children to read, etc, when I saw a reference to teaching your baby to read, I was very excited about it, and my research has led me to where I am now, teaching my children a variety of subjects, and letting them absorb what they will. In early years, children are learning at a phenomenal rate, and if I can help them on their journey, than it is my duty to do so. Having said that, I wish to emphasize that the most important thing children can learn at this age is that they are loved, just for being themselves. It as an age where they are establishing their identity. When I speak of the learning environment, the most important element is one where children can feel secure, where they can have the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them. An environment where know that they are loved unconditionally. If I teach my children nothing else, I will have accomplished a great deal, indeed, my primary duty as mother.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...