Jan 8, 2011

Easy Granola

Faster-than-pancakes Easy Granola

This easy granola recipe is one of my favorites to make because I can use the 10 minutes baking time to get the kids ready for breakfast. Perfect and delicious!
This recipe is adapted from Where's Mom Now That I Need Her? but I've tweaked it enough to not be infringing on any copywrite issues. It's so versatile and yummy! We buy quick oats in bulk and it makes it very economical as well. I have been wanting to try this easy granola bars recipe that uses similar ingredients, but I have yet to do it. Granola bars and granola are expensive to buy pre-made, but are very affordable if you make them yourself.

The Easy Granola Base Recipe

  • 7 cups of quick oats
  • 1/2 cup oil (I recommend olive or coconut, I used olive oil in these pictures)
  • 1/2 cup molasses or honey (I prefer molasses because it's high in iron, which I really need with my pregnancies.)

And then the fun...

This recipe is very versatile. Here you can add whatever you want. I added flax seeds, chopped walnuts (I like to chop a lot up at once and put the remainder in the fridge for other recipes, like salads and stir fry), craisins, and after baking, I added freeze-dried raspberries. In the past I have added shredded coconut, strawberries, banana chips, freeze-dried pineapple, cinnamon, apple chips and almonds. You can also add almond extract or vanilla to the mixture. Add whatever you want! Freeze-dried or dehydrated foods and coconut are best added after baking.Then spread them out on two baking sheets and bake in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees. You're just toasting it, so a minute more or less will not make much difference, and you don't have to worry about whether it's done or not. That 10 minutes is such a life-saver for me on busy mornings! Pull it out, add whatever ingredients you want, and enjoy!
I like to leave out all of the ingredients and dishes to make a second batch sometime the same morning. I store them in a cereal dispenser and the granola will keep for at least a month (if it lasts that long!). I made some for my in-laws once and when we went back two months later they still had some left and it was just fine. Voila, inexpensive, healthy, quick breakfast! When you have to eat on the run, it is still refreshing to be able to say "I made breakfast". Enjoy!


1 comment:

Tamsyn Spackman said...

Only now I've made it even easier. Now I cook it in a large metal bowl. I put 14 cups of quick oats, 1 cup of molasses, and one cup of oil, sometimes olive, but it's yummier with coconut oil if you have it. I mix them up as well as I can, put them in the oven at 300 for a few minutes, stir the coconut oil the rest of the way if it was chunky, then cook it until it's toasted about 10 minutes total. Then I add other yummy ingredients directly into the bowl. Except, that bowl won't fit in my RV oven, so I have to figure out my granola situation again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...