Jan 8, 2011

Breastfeeding

Last week was international breastfeeding week, and as I was thinking about it, I realized that I have never shared any of my breastfeeding experiences on this site. I plan on writing an article about it soon, but today I wanted to just tell you the introduction I usually give at my local LLL meeting.
I was always planning on breastfeeding, and took it for granted that it was something that most mothers just did. After a few bumps along the way, I did have a successful experience breastfeeding my oldest. Shortly before his first birthday, I went to a workshop about extended breastfeeding, and it was my first exposure to the concept. After doing my research, I decided that I would continue to breastfeed him, even though I was planning on getting pregnant again soon. At his first birthday party, we announced to our family that we were expecting our second, and I breastfed Peter until he was 27 months old. We gave him a "Halloweaning Party" which coincided with giving him his violin.
Tandem nursing was successful with Peter and Helen, but when she was about 6 months old, my milk supply started to be compromised, and I had reached the two-year mark, which for me personally was the goal. I had planned on continuing to breastfeed Helen for that long as well, but I became pregnant sooner with her, and when she was 13 months old and I started my second trimester, she decided one day that she was done, and was very adamant about not breastfeeding, so she was weaned at that age. I had mixed feelings about it, but every time I tried to feed her, she bit me and crawled away, so my persistence did not last long.
Now I'm looking forward to breastfeeding my third child in a few weeks. I kind of miss it!
Click for more info

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...