Mar 1, 2011

Easter Egg Shakers

Egg shakers can be pricey, upwards of $10 each for premium eggs.  For a cheaper version, I have been waiting for Easter, and now the dollar store is stocked and ready to accommodate this project.

Materials needed:
  • Empty egg shells
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Rice, beans, wheat, small beads, or other hard material to fill the egg
Step One:  Fill the eggs with your material.  This was a fun activity for my toddler and preschooler, helping them develop their moter skills.

Step Two: Squeeze hot glue along the inside edge of your egg and close tight, holding the egg for about 15 seconds to assure a good seal.
Step Three:  Shake your eggs and enjoy them!  It shouldn't be hard to find a place to store them.
This craft was very easy to do.  When I was in college I got to play the eggs a few times in Jazz band.  Their use extends beyond child's play.  Music teachers can make a classroom set.  Music therapy professionals could use them in a myriad of ways.  I have decided to make several more and to give them away as gifts.  The set pictured above will be used with my children for repeated Easter egg hunts as well as music time.

2 comments:

Ashly said...

Since Lia can't do candy, this is the activity we are going to do for our Easter Eggs this year (the past, eggs were filled with candy). Thanks for another great idea!

Tamsyn Spackman said...

I'm glad that the idea is useful for you. In hindsight, I do have to warn you that the children managed to open a couple of the eggs, producing a big mess. I loved having them help me make them, but I now only let them play with the eggs under supervision. The children had to REALLY try hard to open them. Maybe non-dollar-store eggs would hold up better. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...