Feb 11, 2011

Nature Walk

"Tamsyn, GO OUTSIDE!"

My mother must said these words a thousand times.  I was a bookworm, and I spent much of my youth practicing as well.  Granted, there were many hours spent in trees, hiking, and in playgrounds, and whenever I was outside I loved it.  It just wasn't second nature to me to say to myself, "You haven't been outside today".

It still isn't, and my children suffer for it.  Recently I stumbled upon this forum post about the Charlotte Mason method.  It is important to have nature WALKS and not just nature talks.  I realized that my children could gain much from this, and so I sent out an e-mail to our local homeschooling group and asked if there were other parents interested in doing nature walks for toddlers/preschoolers.  There were!  Now it is officially on our schedule to go outside, and it has been wonderful.  Yes, it is sad that I have to schedule it, but at least we're going.  I am glad that I was able to recognize this weakness of mine and to find a solution for it.

Yesterday we went to the Stokes Nature Center.  Here are a few pictures of our adventure.

Dress them up warm!
What about the baby?  I think he survived.
 When we got to the nature center, they had a bird feeder and the children loved seeing these native birds from the window:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...