Jun 11, 2011

Mini Muffins

Here is a short post in praise of my newly discovered kitchen wonder-- muffins.  Mini muffins.  They are just the right size for me children to eat, and they are easy and fun to do.

I love making Whole Wheat Bread, but lately I have had a hard time getting around to it.  Every step is easy, but there are so many steps!  Grind the flour, let the yeast sponge, mix the ingredients, punch down the bread, preheat the oven, and finally cook it it.  Enjoy it we do, but I have to dedicate about 3 hours to the process.

Mini-Muffins are the new bread lately.  I mix the ingredients easily by hand, cook them for 12-14 minutes, and there is a nice, healthy treat to enjoy.  My recipe is based on the white and red checkered Better Homes and Garden cookbook I got when I was married.

It is very versatle and I have made many variations, but pictured above,

  • 3 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2/3 cups sugar (I usually use brown sugar but slipped this time)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • A dash of salt (about 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk (I'm still using up some canned powdered milk)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Two small handfuls of freeze-dried blackberries, hand crushed
  • A small dab of water so the berries wouldn't dry out the batter.
Mix all the ingredients, grease the pans, put a dab in each pan (about 2/3 full, doesn't have to be exact) and cook for about 12 minutes.  Makes 48.  I love my recent investment so I can make all 48 in one batch.  24 for devouring immediately, and 24 to munch on during the day.  Rinse and repeat, this is a favorite around here lately.

My children LOVE the small size, it's just right for them.  They don't ask for jam or any other topping, so clean-up and distribution are easier than sandwiches.  They especially like to have tea parties or picnics, when I serve it with juice, bite sized fruits and vegetables, and/or nuts.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...